Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Nunavut tuberculosis rate decried

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/1227801.html


Government-provided, one-room houses with no bathrooms, or cramped shacks cobbled together from construction debris, provided ideal conditions for the disease to spread.
I thought this was a really interesting article because I thought that tuberculosis was pretty much gone in Canada. At least, I know I've never met anyone or have heard of anyone having it.  I couldn't believe that TB is an issue in Nunavut because it seems like it'd be very preventable and curable. 
"We are a rich, developed nation that has the resources to solve the problem in Nunavut if we choose to employ them," says Dr. Matthew Stanbrook, a respirologist at Toronto Western Hospital. "The fact that we have failed to do so, not just once but over a century, should be an embarrassment to every Canadian."
I felt that the quote above from Dr. Matthew Stanbrook is a good one. It really speaks out to how as a country we've failed to do a lot of things and this is one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment