Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mubarak Tells Egypt He Will Not Seek Re-Election

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/01/mubarak-tells-egypt-he-wi_n_817132.html


I think that this whole thing that has been happening in Egypt and other countries is really interesting. I haven't been reading too much on it, but what I have read I've found intriguing. I thought it was interesting how he's staying in power and is staying in Egypt although it's clear that Egypt's citizens don't want him there but isn't running in the re-election. It's probably about time, I think 82 years old is a little old to be running a country.


However, I feel that websites such as Al Jazeera can give a more accurate viewpoint than websites such as The Huffington Post. I feel that a western world viewpoint on things happening in middle eastern countries is largely inaccurate.  This may be because I'm half Lebanese and my father was in the Phalange for 11 years.   I've been raised with a really different viewpoint on Middle Eastern politics because of this I think. I just don't understand how people here can feel like they can go into Middle Eastern countries and feel that they fully understand the conflict when they see it from the viewpoint of being from a rich and privileged country such as Canada or the U.S.A. I really don't feel that we are in a position to occupy these countries and try to tell them how to do things when we really can't appreciate their long and rich histories and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment