Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kanehsatake 270 Years of Resistance

I finally got to watching Kanehsatake 270 Years of Resistance this weekend past. I really enjoyed the documentary and felt that it hit on a lot of good points about Canada and the approaches that people take to things. The scene that really stuck out the most to me was when they were showing how people weren't allowed through this roadblock and this one woman started losing it and started saying stuff like "This is Canada! This is a free country, why can't I go through that roadblock". I felt that it was something that really stuck out because it's true. A lot of people who live in Canada value the freedom that we are given and I don't think a lot of people would know what to do if it was taken away and we lived in a police run state like they did during the Oka Crisis.


I felt that this documentary really taught me a lot about the Oka crisis and really hit some key issues, such as land rights, aboriginal rights, human rights in general really. The fact that they wouldn't give them any more food shipments, and that news reporter that needed medication for his asthma and they refused him that right was crazy. I can't imagine Canadians being like that, yet there it was, proof that people were like that and it created doubt that Canada is really like it says it is. Though with our current state of affairs I guess there's no doubt that this is being proven yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment